Monday, December 19, 2011

My Antonia

  • Introductory Chunk: Willa Cather in her novel My Antonia (yes, a signal phrase) offers her view of life during the pioneer time.

  • Chunk 1: How would My Ántonia be different if it were told from Ántonia's perspective?

  • The story would have been all about Antonia and her life experiences instead of Jim Burden's.
  • Chunk 2: How effective is Cather, a woman, at narrating a story from the point of view of a man? Does Jim sound like a man writing, or does the narrative sound like a woman pretending to be a man?

  • She is very effective. Jim does sound like a man writing and he does not sound like a woman at all.
  • Chunk 3: Why do you think Jim changed the title from Antonia to My Antonia?

  • I think he changed the title because he felf like he was very close to Antonia, that maybe at one time, he thought they were a couple, they were close friends, and he always did things for her.
  • Concluding Chunk

  • Based on this information, I reccomend My Antonia to anyone who likes old western living books.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment